[Catalyst] Catalyst::Example::InstantCRUD RFC

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 15:16:46 CET 2006

Hi,

In the attachments you'll find my Catalyst CRUD example ported to
DBIx::Class.   Below I repeat the same arguments I presented for
Catalyst::Example::PagingAndSort - so if you read my previous mail
this might be redundant.

The main goal of this work is a script generating a working Catalyst
example with minimal setup by the user.  The additional goal is to
make the example extensible and customisable.

The generation is just one step:

instantcrud.pl -name=My::App -dsn='dbi:Pg:dbname=CE' -user=zby -password='pass'

I believe this is the simplest way to have a working non trivial
Catalyst application.

To meet the goal of extensibility the generated controllers and models
are empty subclasses of my library controller or model.
This way the user can upgrade my libraries without braking the
generated applications, but he can also take the responsibility of
parts of the generated application and use the standard OO technique
of overriding the methods from the super class.

I am waiting for comments.

-- Zbyszek