[Catalyst] preserve the URL in browser box

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Jan 18 18:18:45 CET 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:04:51PM +0100, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:55:45 -0800
> Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:25:19PM +0200, raptor wrote:
> > > postitem is called from a <FORM> in additem page.  Now the problem
> > > is that after posting an item the address in the browser url box is
> > > left as 'postitem', but I want it to be 'additem'.  Is it possible
> > > if yes how ?
> >
> > Not to question your needs, but I see this often.  Why is it important
> > that the browser shows the new address at the expense of another round
> > trip to the server?
>
> I like to do it that way in order to keep the web app's user from
> bookmarking a context-sensitive action (and to keep him/her from
> triggering an action twice or more by hitting "reload" a few times...).

I thought google was everyone's bookmark these days.

I tend to post back to the same url as the request -- after all if it
doesn't validate I need to reload the form.  But, if I end up showing
a new page (such as a list of items) then, yes, bookmarking would not
item, not one that updates the item.

I also use the RequestToken plugin.  That prevents double posting.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org