[Catalyst] [RFC] Catalyst::ConfigLoader -- load a config from various formats

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:31:57 CET 2006

On 1/26/06, A. Pagaltzis <pagaltzis at gmx.de> wrote:
> * Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2006-01-26 16:35]:
> >If you can think of a better way that allows all apps on the
> >system to get the main version except those that specifically
> >use YAML::Frozen::039; or similar, why don't you tell us what it
> >is rather than merely hinting at such a thing existing?
>
> Exporter::VA implements that. I don't know if it's the only or
> best option, but clearly this is doable.

Exporter::VA doesn't do what we'd need.  It's not the changing
Export-able interface of YAML that's hurting us, it's the guts of it.

As said elsewhere in this thread, the only other realistic option
(aside from doing the Module::Frozen::XXX hack) is to save a copy of
YAML-0.39 within Catalyst as a local part of the Catalyst
distribution, make it part of our make/test/install process, and
remove YAML from the make dependencies, and make sure it gets into
@INC first (not too hard, since Cat apps have their own lib/ anyways,
but we would have to store it in the installed perl libdirs somewhere
first, so that Cat has somewhere to copy it from to put it in the App
dirs).

If Catalyst was the only package that needed it in the world, that
might even be a superior route - but the expectation is that other
modules also need a frozen YAML-0.39 (I know some of mine at work
could use it, since the new YAMLs are also incompatible with my
frameworks as well) - so make that a seperate CPAN package and let
them all depend on it, rather than having everyone hack a copy into
their packages and make/build stuff.

-- Brandon