[Catalyst] [RFC] Catalyst::ConfigLoader -- load a config from various formats

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Thu Jan 26 18:11:02 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 16:36 +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> NO! Other apps might depend on the latest YAML. I'm not willing to break
> them just to fix mine. We're talking about production quality deployments
> here - just fixing a version is fine for a dev box but useless otherwise.

You don't run with specific fixed versions of CPAN modules on your
production boxes?  I wouldn't do it any other way.  What do you do about
apps that are written to specific versions of the Catalyst API?  They
obviously require a specific version.  YAML and Class::DBI are just the
tip of the ::Frozen iceberg here.

If you really want multiple versions of the same module on one machine
to work, that should be addressed as a core Perl feature.  You're not
the first people to want it.

In my opinion, motivation in the perl community to handle this has been
low, since there are so many ways you can deal with it already (local
lib directory per app, install a separate perl, use a different physical
or virtual machine).

> CPAN shell can install a specific dist just fine. That's not the point.

You can give the full file name of a distribution ("install
BAR/Foo-1.23_90.tar.gz"), but I don't know any way to say "install YAML
0.39" simply.  I also didn't think the version number given in bundles
would limit it to a specific version, but I could be wrong about that.

- Perrin