[Catalyst] Authenticating a "Normal CGI Script" Inside a Catalyst Application

Kennedy Clark hkclark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 22:07:08 CET 2006

We have an existing application that generates reports via a Perl-based CGI
script.  We want to create a series of other tools that go along with this
report script (e.g., a web-based GUI configuration tool and other diagnostic
tools), and we want to use Catalyst for these other tools.  An important
part of the overall application will be authentication and roles to let
different people do/see different things.  I have been studying the Catalyst
documentation, and doing this for these new tools seems pretty
straightforward (for example, it's covered in Catalyst::Manual::Cookbook and
Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial).  However, we also want to be able
to control access to this existing Perl-based .cgi script through the same
Catalyst authentication (IOW, "single sign on").  Any recommendations or
examples on how to do this?  I have been searching through the docs and
mailing list with no luck.

The existing Perl .cgi script is a third party system, so we do not
have control over making it "fully Catalyst", but it essentially runs all of
the reports via a single Perl .cgi file currently running under Apache
(using different args on the URL to request different report data).  The
Perl .cgi script if a plain old Perl script that load a large .pm library to
do the report rendering -- so we can make basic changes to file if
necessary.  Is there a way to "wrap" or "shim" it to work with the Catalyst
authentication framework (but without have to do "major surgery" on the
existing report app)?

Many thanks,