[Catalyst] Suse upgrade breaks my application; easy fix, or deep doo doo?

Dennis Daupert ddaupert at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 3 20:26:41 CEST 2006

Suse 10 died Saturday. I upgraded to Suse 10.1, and was disappointed to find they've gone to perl 5.8.8.

I rebuilt Catalyst with all the latest greatest; installed my application from backup.

Now stuff breaks. I've seen the posts about how yukkie perl 5.8.8 is; I'm wondering if a few fixes/workarounds might get my app back up, or if I've just run into the first of a never ending series of problems? I'm also not familiar with the meaning of the error msg (below)

When I try to start up my app:

$ ./catapult_server.pl

I get this msg:
Not a GLOB reference at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/YAML.pm line 72.
Compilation failed in require at ./catapult_server.pl line 49.

catapult_server.pl, line 49 says:
   require Catapult;

And here are some lines from YAML: VERSION = '0.60'
  62 sub LoadFile {
  63  my $IN;
  64  my $filename = shift;
  65  if (ref $filename) {
  66      $IN = $filename;
  67  }
  68  else {
  69     open $IN, $filename
  70     or YAML::Base->die('YAML_LOAD_ERR_FILE_INPUT', $filename, $!);
  71  }
  72  return Load(do { local $/; <$IN> });
  73 }

/dennis