[Catalyst] test server unexpectedly closing connections

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Sat Jul 15 08:20:47 CEST 2006

I've just debugged my way through something quite fiddly. Test server
working fine with Firefox, but not IE. It turned out that POSTing to a
page which then redirects and sets a cookie (not sure which if either
is critical factor, I suspect the Location: header) closes the
connection right after the Location: header. IE doesn't cope well with
this and you get a "Page unavailable" error. Submitting via GET
doesn't close the connection.

I'm too short on time to exhaustively test this or create a test case
or even fix it, sorry, but figure better to post something.

The workaround is to use GET (not great; auth in address bar), another
deployment platform, e.g. FastCGI, or not use IE (not great;
unrealistic). I opted for a different deployment environment.

HTH someone anyway -
Paul