[Catalyst] Testing server hangs with Safari and some others

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Wed Jul 26 17:16:27 CEST 2006

> Doh, 5.7001

I had this problem (on many platforms) with older versions of TT.  For
some reason, TT would time out if [% USE CGI %] appeared anywhere in any
templates.  Sometimes.  Other times it wouldn't.  It was really weird,
and I pulled out a lot of hair debugging it, but could never get enough
info to file a bug report.  For all I know, this is still a problem; I
stopped using CGI and just printed out my forms manually.  (I was also
using cgi's escape function, to escape UTF-8 characters in URIs
[required by the W3C, apparently, although I don't know why], but I
eventually got TT's [% foo | uri | html %] to work -- if you set TT's
charset to UTF-8, it won't escape URIs.  Irritating.  I reported this as
a bug, and it was immediately marked "resolved" without being resolved.
*sigh*)

As for debugging this, use Carp and then "confess" in various places.
Eventually you'll put the confess somewhere after the timeout, and then
you can narrow down what exactly is causing the problem.  Although,
sometimes catalyst eats dies for some reason, and you don't get this
(with the server).  In that case, try just running perl -MMyApp -e
'MyApp->start'.

Any advice from the developers on how to get "die" to be more fatal
would be greatly appreciated :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway