[Catalyst] error using session and authn plug-ins under apache

leonard.a.jaffe at jpmchase.com leonard.a.jaffe at jpmchase.com
Fri Jul 28 22:22:06 CEST 2006

> It was around 1414 EST when Yuval replied to Len:
> > On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 11:42:40 -0400, leonard.a.jaffe at jpmchase.com
wrote:
> > When I use session and authentication together under apache, I get
this
> > error
> > [error] Caught exception in engine "Can't store CODE items at
> > ..\..\lib\Storable.pm
> > (autosplit into ..\..\lib\auto\Storble\_freeze.al) line 290, at
> > D:/Perl/site/lib/Object/Signature.pm line 19"

> It sounds like the authentication plugin is somehow storing a code
> reference in the session (are you overriding the for_session method
> in your user class? That's supposed to export a simplified data

So I dug around in the two modules referenced in the error message and
found that:

C:P:Session uses Object::Signature, which calles Storable::nfreeze,
which called Storable::_freeze with a coderef  parameter which _freeze is
supposed to eval, and which turns out to be a c routine.

By dumping my session in Root::end, I see that I have precious little in
my session:
__address, __created, __updated, __user, __user_store.  so there must be
something inside
that DBIC user record (which is contains an INT id, and VARCHAR standardid
& name) that is
tripping __freeze under apache.

I'm not using session for anything else yet, and this site will have low
enough traffic
that not having the user record in the session won't be a steak in the
heart, so I'm
inclined for now to just comment out the session stuff and get on with my
life.

Len.

under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  Although this transmission and
any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other
defect that might affect any computer system into which it is
received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by
JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as
applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use.
If you received this transmission in error, please immediately
contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,