[Catalyst] C::P::Session and Object::Signature error

michael j talarczyk mjt at mijit.com
Sat Jul 29 02:00:14 CEST 2006

i'm plagued by this error on any request:

Caught exception in engine "not a reference at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/Object/Signature.pm line 19"

this is C::P::Session calling signature() to compare session signatures. i
have a running catalyst app, and sessions used to "just work". but, after a
dependency was upgraded (sorry, forget which one,) this error appeared and i
had to hack a workaround into a local ./lib/Object/Signature.pm. afaik, i'm
on the most recent version of everything from CPAN and my distros (osx and
FC4.)

i don't know whether to send a patch to C::P::Session or this indicates some
deeper strangeness in the interdependencies between catalyst and its plugins
that i might learn from.  the "exception in engine" part especially stymies
me, and the fact that i'm running latest everything and not doing anything
that could remotely be considered an edge case with sessions makes me wonder
why this is happening at all. has anyone else seen this?