[Catalyst] Catalyst best practices?

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 05:13:55 CEST 2006

Jonathan,

I think that since Catalyst is so rapidly developing (and typically developing along the direction of the 'itch you need to scratch') some of these questions are a bit hard to answer.  Here's what I am doing:

1)  I'd like to see the search path for stuff evolve as well.  I know the M/V/C directories are just a starting point and that in the end maybe something else will work better for us.  I think having multiple roots for seaching for components arranged something like the way perl seperates CPAN libraries could help sort things out a lot.

/lib
    /vendor    #ready to go catalyst apps that a vendor provides for you
    /site        #Catalyst stuff that you install from cpan
    /local
        /Controller
       /Model
        /View

Personally I create a directory under /lib for my pluggable modules so I can keep the lib root clean.

I feel your pain about needing to split View up a bit.  Axkit and Coccoon have this really nice rendering pipeline that splits things up this way.  Of course those projects have it a bit easier since they are dedicated XML processing systems.

I think one of my biggest headaches is that there are a couple of ways stuff moves to a view from the controller.  Typically data is stored in the stash under a particular key (like the xlst view looks for data under stash->{xml}).  However the Template toolkit just takes the whole stash.  So you end up with more hard coupling between the view and the controller.  I don't see much if any way around this.  The stash is really useful because it's an 'anything goes' place to drop stuff.  However that is a weakness too.  The same controller can't really pass information to either a template toolkit view or a xslt view since both those views expect something very different.  Also if you are too lazy and make the stash large that could case performance trouble.

For what it's worth my view directory looks like this.

/View
    /Serializers      #populates the response body somehow, typically from the stash or a passed object
    /Transformers  #performs some sort of transform on the response body
    /Filters                #perfoms filtering on the response body

But I think this could use a lot of work and thought.  Cocoon does it a bit differently, but again they are using SAX pipes.

2)  I'm typically using the stash as a sort of private namespace to keep myself from having to remember to forward parameters.  If you can get Controller::BindLex to work for you this makes it even easier;

my $rdf :Stashed = RDF->new(...);  #same as $c->stash->{rdf} =...

I use Catalyst actions for methods when I want catalyst to know about them and I use 'normal' methods
primarily to encapsulate behaviors like creating htmlwidgets or doing validation.  I tend to make a lot of
custom controllers with private methods.  Gives me an excuse to learn MOOSE :)

I'm using continuations when I'm on a controller that keeps returning to itself until a certain condition is met,
like a form has properly validated.

3)  I'd like some help understand return stuff as well.  It would be really cool if catalyst actions would
use a return system similar to the way mod_perl works so as to make it easy to set the http response

sub demo :Public
{
    # your stuff for the controller

    if($not_found)
    {
        return HTTP_NOT_FOUND
    }
}

Right now I find I have to set the response status and then in my custom end controller I have to look for it
and decide what to do.  However doing it this way would seriously break things so I guess it's a pipe dream
The new RenderView helps a bit but it doesn't really do what I need either since my view pipeline is a bit
more complicated.

Looking at the source code seems to suggest that the return value is not so important at this time.  But
maybe in the future if we all want to define it than it could change I suppose.

4.  This bothered me as well.  It seems ugly to me to say $self->foo($c) but I think there is a way around it if
you can understand this whole ACCEPT_CONTEXT things mentioned several places in the documentation.

I think the problem comes down to the fact that the context is constantly changing in response to the way
actions are acting, so if you have a method that is not a catalyst action and it needs the context you will
probably have to pass it.  I haven't found a good way around it either.  So I just accept it :)

5)  I dont' feel qualified to say anything about unicode other than what you already said.