[Catalyst] Major (for me) problem fixed! [patch]

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Jul 31 18:06:36 CEST 2006

Nathan Kurz wrote:
> That's true, but I think it would be better to have a more sensible
> default behaviour.  In the absence of the 'only' parameter, the
> Catalyst application fails with a non-specific error message if a
> non-compilable file ending with .pm exists anywhere in the search
> path.  Since this happens only sporadically (when a temporary autosave
> file exists), and since the error message makes no reference to the
> specific file, it's quite hard to figure out what is happening.
 >
> And since the documentation for M::P::O doesn't mention 'only', it's a
> lot to expect each individual to figure out how to fix the problem.  I
> think this would make better sense as a patch to Catalyst.  It might
> help to understand this bug if you were to create a '.junk.pm' file
> filled with some junk, and see whether the steps to fixing the problem
> would readily be apparent.  Then pretend the problem is intermittent.

How about submitting a doc patch and test back to the M::P author, perhaps
including a better error message? :)

> Until M::P::O is patched to have this default, I think patching
> Catalyst to supply it would be a good choice.  That said, now that I
> know the source of the error message and the incantation to prevent
> it, I personally could deal just fine with setting the option myself.

Sure, but if we're going to supply defaults they should be more comprehensive
than this; I asked on catalyst-dev@ for people to test some time before 5.70
was released and to suggest strings that should be included, but nobody
bothered to reply so we didn't ship one.

Since that's two of you so far who've suddenly started to care, why don't you
start a thread on catalyst-dev@ and we'll discuss a sensible default there?