[Catalyst] Alien::Dojo uses regexes to parse HTML, so what?

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 06:41:49 CEST 2006

On 30/05/06, Dominique Quatravaux <dom at idealx.com> wrote:

> Despite all the respect I have for your work I simply cannot agree. I
> *do* use regexes in production, sometimes even for parsing (not HTML),
> they are //x, ripe with comments, they are covered by a suitable
> amount of unit tests (which amounts to more than for pure-OO code),
> and they just do the job.

Regexes are "Text matching subroutines that are coded in an embedded
programming language that's nearly entirely unrelated to perl " D. Conway,
Perl Best Practices p 236

Parsing for structured data that conforms to a standard.

Regexes for general text processing and one off hacky scripts.

Now can we kill this thread please?