[Catalyst] Catalyst Documentation

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Thu Jun 1 19:46:18 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
> Thomas Hartman wrote:
>> Hi Matt, I did that and reported back to the group, it's in another thread.
>
> Ok, my apologies. A number of people have been kind enough to do so and
> I don't quite manage to keep track of the names :)
>
>> Things have *definitely* improved in the past several months.
>>
>> My test for "is catalyst installed enough" is running the InstantCRUD
>> sample app builder with a mysql back end, since this is simple to do
>> but requires a *lot* of dependencies. If I can do this -- and I think
>> I'll have this sorted out soon -- I'm going to do a bit of wiki
>> cleanup.
>>
>> What I have in mind is to deprecate references to catInABox (which
>> doesn't even have DBIC), and give more emphasis to the shadowcat
>> installer. I will also give a more positive report that getting an up

I'm biased, but I would not just deprecate references for CatInABox.
CatInABox serves one main purpose the shadowcat installer does not: it
gives people who want to try Catalyst without spending all morning
installing things a means to do so. Sure, it may be incomplete for the
project developer, but for the "what's this cat thingy?" people, it
servers its purpose well.

>> to date catalyst environment on dreamhost is doable, since this is now
>> true, or close to true.
>
> Actually, I think Chris Laco has built a catinabox which does have DBIC.

Any a bunch more, but only for win32 at this point.

> What we really need is for me or somebody else to get round to
> encapsulating the appropriate magic to make local installs work; I'm
> pretty sure I know how to do it but I can do it by hand fast enough for
> my own purposes so I've not quite got round to it yet.
>
> Would people be interested in a commercial "local install environment
> manager" type thing? Tuits are far more likely to be available if I can
> justify it as commercial time :)
>
>> Thanks to everyone that worked on getting the install smoother.

<broken_record_mode>
Don't forget, Perl 5.10 is suppoed to finally be able to run in any
location on a persons machine without compile/installer time tweakage of
Config/perl binary.

This means we can, and will be able to have a downloadable package that
has perl 5.10, and all of the XS/DBI/DBIC compiled goodness right inside
for a true "unpack and go" version with all the bells and whistles.
</broken_record_mode>