[Catalyst] What value does an ORM add?

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Thu Jun 8 17:33:56 CEST 2006

Not intending to start any sort of rancorous discussion, but I was
wondering whether someone could illuminate me a little?

I'm comfortable with SQL, and with DBI. I write basic SQL that runs
just fine on all databases, or more complex SQL when I want to target
a single database (ususally postgresql).

What value does an ORM add for a user like me?

Some ORMs provide a single interface to the underlying datastore, so
allow you to cache information in the ORM, as long as you're the only
app accessing the underlying datastore.

Higher level modules (authentication, say) can target the ORM API and
not need to worry about database-specific details (although they
usually use such simple SQL that they could get the same independence
by using DBI directly it's still a decent implementation choice).

But that seems to be about it.

I know that I don't need to use an ORM with catalyst - I can use DBI
perfectly well, or even a hybrid system where my code uses DBI and
other modules use an ORM. But there's so much excitement about ORMs
that I have to wonder whether I'm missing some big concept about
them, and there's something they offer that makes development quicker
even for someone fluent in SQL.

Anyone?

Cheers,
   Steve