[Catalyst] Where to put template files?

Andrew Ford A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 17:04:09 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
> John Napiorkowski wrote:
>
>> I know getting used to the yaml syntax can be trouble,
>> but there is a command line yml compiling you get when
>> you install yaml which can help you translate perl
>> structures to yml structures to help get you started.
>> It's call ysh and you invoke is by typing 'ysh' from
>> the command prompt (if you've installed YAML, which is
>> likely true if you are using catalyst!
>>

> YAML drives me batshit. Fortunately ConfigLoader will handle a vast range of
> config formats, including JSON and XML. My personal preference is Config::General

I totally agree with this.  YAML is fine as a serialization format, and
it can be useful that it is (just about) readable, but I find it insane
that it is even considered usable as a configuration file format -- it
is just too easy to break and reinforces the prejudice that perl is just
for hackers.  For applications that may need their configurations
tweaking by client's support staff I have generally used Windows-style
.ini files (parsed with Config::IniFiles).  I know the format is limited
to groups of keyword/value pairs, but that generally suffices and keeps
things so that they are simple to explain.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ford,  Director    Pauntley Prints / Ford & Mason Ltd
A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk   South Wing Compton House