[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Jun 9 17:27:59 CEST 2006

I love YAML as a serialisation format for data transfer, but so far as stuff
like config files that are designed for human write / machine read, I
personally think it sucks. Massively.

And for hysterical raisins it's currently our default config file formats, and
I see users running into trouble getting their myapp.yml to parse right all
the flipping time. So, I'm wondering if this is just me being a YAML-hating
heretic or if other people are of the same opinion.

A few (IMO) better options -

Config::General -

<View TT>
   INCLUDE_PATH __path_to('root')__
</View>

JSON -

{
     INCLUDE_PATH: "__path_to('root')__"
   }
}

INI-style -

INCLUDE_PATH=__path_to('root')__

What do you all think, then? (/me dons asbestos suit, waits for the holy war
to start :)