[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 18:03:54 CEST 2006

On 6/9/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> A few (IMO) better options -
>
> Config::General -
>
> <View TT>
>    INCLUDE_PATH __path_to('root')__
> </View>

Too Apache-like...I've never cared for it because it can't make up
it's mind what kind of format it really is.

> What do you all think, then? (/me dons asbestos suit, waits for the holy war
> to start :)

Simple.  The simpler the better.  And I totally understand why things
like YAML developed because 'too simple' can't handle things
resembling data structures.  But in the end I always end up with
either just writing config files in Perl or using simple
attribute-value pairs.  If you include a '=' in the syntax, it's
simple enough to extend to using ',' to denote lists, etc.

XML for config files is not simple.  I don't know how many hours I've
spent tracking down problems in apps that use XML but only half-assed
parse it so structural typos in the file aren't detected and nobody
can figure out why it didn't work.  Including a validating parser in
an app that doesn't otherwise use it is a waste.

INI files are close, My biggest dislike is just that they're
too-Windows-like.  So sue me.

dt

--

Dean Troyer