[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

phaylon phaylon at dunkelheit.at
Fri Jun 9 18:10:56 CEST 2006

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior said:

> YAML was designed specifically for being able to be read and written
> by human beings without much effort. And it accomplishes it nicely,
> IMO.

Well, it's a human-readable/writable serialization format, like JSON. I
personally love YAML, because I got pretty used to it in the last months.
I too never had much of a problem writing it. The problem starts when
people should be able to configure applications that have no concept of
hashes, arrays and other such concepts.

> However, JSON is still considerably uglier and "dirtier" than YAML.

That's because it isn't that much whitespace-sensitive.

> {
>     INCLUDE_PATH: "__path_to('root')__"
>   }
> }
>
> vs

>   INCLUDE_PATH: __path_to('root')__

Yes, but:

{
  Foo: [
    0,
    1,
    {
      Bar: 12
    }
  ]
}

or

{ Foo: [0, 1, { Bar: 12 } ] }

or

{ Foo :
  [ 0, 1,
    { Bar : 12 }
  ]
}

vs just

Foo:
  - 0
  - 1
  - Bar: 12

And I've met a bunch of people that tried to mess with the positions of
the "-" here and got screwed.