[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Jun 9 18:30:21 CEST 2006

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com wrote:

> Ok I will bite,  I fail to see how anyone that has used perl for any period
> of time does not know how to parse and write YAML. It was designed to be
> human readable for non coders -- so even non perl coders should be able to
> gain the concept quickly (without needed to understand how the data is
> stashed
> when it is loaded.  Any other config format we would use would be hard
> pressed
> to match YAML for those two points.

I can parse and write YAML fine. But it's damn easy to typo, the parsing
errors are generally useless or nonexistant and while it might be *readable*
for non-programmers it sure as hell isn't easily writeable for them. INI and
apache-style both definitely win out on that by a big margin based on my
experience of clients.