[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Andrew Ford A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk
Fri Jun 9 18:38:24 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
> Dean Troyer wrote:
>
>> On 6/9/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> A few (IMO) better options -
>>>
>>> Config::General -
>>>
>>> <View TT>
>>>    INCLUDE_PATH __path_to('root')__
>>> </View>
>>>
>> Too Apache-like...I've never cared for it because it can't make up
>> it's mind what kind of format it really is.
>>

> Yes, it can. It's a kind of format designed to be reasonable for people to
> write and machines to read.
>
> Sure, it loses points for architectural purity. But architectural purity gets
> you YAML.

I think a major problems is that often configuration file contents are
not designed in anyway; they just evolve as a serialization of the
information that the programmer happens to need to initialize the
application (and often this will not be documented) and with no thought
for the people who will have to deal with them.  For example there will
probably be a dsn lurking in there somewhere, which will mean nothing to
a lot of people, rather than separate database name, username and
password that might make some sense to them (database type and such like
can probably be assumed or defaulted and the application could build up
the dsn).  So some poor support guy ends up getting told to edit a file
that is undocumented, obtuse and has a fragile format, and then things
break.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ford,  Director    Pauntley Prints / Ford & Mason Ltd
A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk   South Wing Compton House