[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Toby Corkindale toby at ymogen.net
Fri Jun 9 19:02:58 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
> I love YAML as a serialisation format for data transfer, but so far as stuff
> like config files that are designed for human write / machine read, I
> personally think it sucks. Massively.
>
> And for hysterical raisins it's currently our default config file formats, and
> I see users running into trouble getting their myapp.yml to parse right all
> the flipping time. So, I'm wondering if this is just me being a YAML-hating
> heretic or if other people are of the same opinion.
>
> A few (IMO) better options -
>
> Config::General -
>
> <View TT>
>    INCLUDE_PATH __path_to('root')__
> </View>

I developed an unholy fear of config files that appear to be XML on the
surface, but aren't XML-parseable once you look closer. (Mainly as a
result of working with Darren's HempML at a previous employer.)

I picked up YAML syntax quickly without any problems, and am happy to
stick with it. Perhaps some more complex examples and stuff could be
added to the docs? Also, perhaps put some basic notes in comments in the
auto-generated config file from catalyst.pl -create? That's the first
place users will look..

tjc