[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

John Siracusa siracusa at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 9 19:57:09 CEST 2006

On 6/9/06, Andrew Ford <A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk> wrote:
> I think a major problems is that often configuration file contents are
> not designed in anyway; they just evolve as a serialization of the
> information that the programmer happens to need to initialize the
> application (and often this will not be documented) and with no thought
> for the people who will have to deal with them.  For example there will
> probably be a dsn lurking in there somewhere, which will mean nothing to
> a lot of people, rather than separate database name, username and
> password that might make some sense to them (database type and such like
> can probably be assumed or defaulted and the application could build up
> the dsn).  So some poor support guy ends up getting told to edit a file
> that is undocumented, obtuse and has a fragile format, and then things
> break.

To be fair, the DNS situation only arises if the thing being
configured requires a DNS string.  There's nothing about Catalyst
proper that dictates this.  So it seems like your complaint is about
the nature of data that needs to be configured, not how to do so in
the configuration file itself.

-John