[Catalyst] YAML vs. *

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 21:43:30 CEST 2006

On 6/9/06, Andrew Ford <A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk> wrote:
> No.  My complaint is that so often the programmers don't think to
> translate the data that needs to be configured into items that are
> meaningful to those who will have to maintain the configuration files
> (which are after all the "user interface" for those people).

Bing! Bing! Bing!

One other distinction I'd like to throw in here is to differeniate
between configuration and data initialization.  We all have taken the
easy route and dumped things into a config file that really don't
belong there but it was a convenient place to put it.  But from a
support standpoint, having data structures in a config file is a mess.

Use YAML or XML or Perl itself for the data init stuff and put it
somewhere else, and make the config file easy to _support_, not easy
to code.

dt

--

Dean Troyer