[Catalyst] Problem with 'login' method in tutorial

Peter Traub ptraub at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 23:28:48 CEST 2006

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the reply. I should've mentioned that the top of my app (
tutorial.pm) follows the tutorial directions to the letter, and thus has:

use Catalyst qw/-Debug Static::Simple Authentication
             Authentication::Store::Minimal
             Authentication::Credential::Password
             Session Session::Store::File Session::State::Cookie/;

All those modules have been installed with CPAN. It should just complain if
it can't find any of those modules whenever the app is called, right? But it
doesn't (which implies that it sees them doesn't it?), it only complains
about the 'login' method call. Thanks.

Peter

On 6/22/06, Ash Berlin <ash at cpan.org> wrote:

> Peter Traub wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm a Catalyst newbie stuck on the tutorial with following problem. In
> > the Users.pm <http://Users.pm> file, the login function fails, as the
> > call to $c->login() gets the following error:
> >
> > [Thu Jun 22 15:57:00 2006] [catalyst] [error] Caught exception "Can't
> > locate object method "login" via package "tutorial" at
> >
> /home/peter/public_html/tutorial/script/../lib/tutorial/Controller/Users.pm
> > line 82."
> >
> > This would normally imply that I'm missing modules, however, I have
> > installed all the necessary plugins through CPAN (as far as I can
> > tell). One possible cause, but I don't think it is normally an issue,
> > is that the Catalyst plugins on my machine (running Ubuntu 'dapper
> > drake'), are in two directories. One directory
> > (/usr/share/perl5/Catalyst/) has a few plugins provided by Ubuntu's
> > apt repository. The other directory
> > (/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.7/Catalyst/) has the new plugins installed
> > with CPAN. Both directories are in @INC when printed from the tutorial
> > app. I tried copying the CPAN installed plugins
> > (Authentication::Credential::Password, Authentication::Simple, etc.)
> > to the Ubuntu perl dir, but it made no difference. I did restart the
> > test server on each change.
> >
> > At this point, I'm not quite sure what else to do to get the app to
> > see Authentication::Credential::Password which apparently provides the
> > 'login' method. A search of Google and the list archives hasn't turned
> > up anyone with the same problem. Any suggestions/help would be greatly
> > appreciated. Also, at the end of this email I've included a dump of my
> > $c object from right before the login call fails. Many thanks.
> >
> > Peter
> In MyApp.pm
>
> use Catalyst qw/-Debug Authentication/;
>
> That tells Catalyst to enable debug, and load
> Catalyst::Plugin::Authentication - you will also need to load the
> backend authentication stores in a similar manner.
>
> HTH
> Ash

> Searchable archive:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.rawmode.org/