[Catalyst] PPM vs CPAN

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Jun 29 23:58:46 CEST 2006

Hugh Lampert wrote:
> I mean I only want to finish my small app. My boss is going to split his
> gut when I tell him first I need to download a C++ dev package so I can
> install the application framework that actually is written in perl.
> Looks like I'll be sticking to whatever Catalyst modules are available
> in PPM form for now. Not because I'm afraid of installing GCC, but
> because I can't imagine altering the roll-out environment to the point
> of installing UNIX emulation layers or C++ development packages just to
> put this app into production.

Some modules have bits that need to be compiled so they can hook into the
interpreter and/or OS at a lower level than perl code.

You don't have to deploy the development tools.

Would your boss be surprised that you wanted a copy of the Visual Studio
compiler and toolchain in order to write .Net code?

Why is that any different from needing a C compiler to compile loadable
modules for a language whose runtime is written in C?