[Catalyst] file system /web server best practices.

Len Jaffe lenjaffe at jaffesystems.com
Fri Jun 30 14:01:19 CEST 2006

I need some advice on the best place to put static
HTML pages, in the context of a web site that will
have some static content, and some catalyst driven
content.

Furthermore, I want to be able to run under the devel
server, and mod_perl, at the same time, without having
to resort to calling my index.html page via
/static/index.html

ENV: win2k3, activestate 5.8.8, apache 2.0.58,
modperl, catalyst 5.67(2?).

You see, I have a 4 proc server for production, and
I'm having to use it as my dev box (qa is still a ?)
becuase my desktop does not have enough ram, and
pages/swaps constantly. It takes ~1minute to restart
apache/mod_perl on my desktop, compared to about 15
seconds on the server, and near instantaneous with the
development web server on either box.

I've moved all of my static content under
/root/static,   and have apache configure to work
well, but then the development server cannot server
the same pages under the same (modulo port 3k) set up.
 It expects my css and js files to be pathed as
/static/{css,js}/whatever.

I am considering dropping mod_perl for fastcgi, but I
was hoping to involve the file upload progress module
& catalyst plugin.  DDOes something similar exist for
fastcgi?

So how do I place my files, and what bit of apache
conf have I failed to grasp in order to run one file
structure, and have it work well with the dev server,
and apache?

Thanks.
Len.

Leonard A. Jaffe     lenjaffe at jaffesystems.com
Leonard Jaffe Computer Systems Consulting Ltd.
Columbus, OH, USA 614-404-4214 F: 530-380-7423