[Catalyst] Perl Flavors (was PPM vs CPAN)

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Jun 30 21:04:01 CEST 2006

Hugh Lampert wrote:
> Carl Franks wrote:
>> You may want to look into Vanilla / Strawberry perl as an alternative
>> to ActivePerl.
>> It includes the mingw (gcc) compiler and nmake, and the perl included
>> is compiled from scratch with mingw, rather than ms compilers.
>>
> Thanks, I will look into this for my next project.  I'm pretty married
> to ActiveState right now because its the flavor that's approved for
> production.  I need to minimize the height of the waves I cause because
> I'm already on fairly thin ice for choosing Catalyst/Apache/Perl instead
> of ASP/IIS/.NET for this project.  In other words my boss doesn't want
> to see any more development tool requests, he just wants the app rolled
> out already.

Once you've built the modules you should be able to simply copy the
appropriate bits of the site lib onto any equivalent system - i.e. Ctrl-C,
Ctrl-V deployment. I've done this on a number of occasions before when I
didn't have a PPM handy.

> I still think I can bring the project home with the PPM's that are out
> there, and whatever I can get to work from CPAN that doesn't require
> complex compiling (unless this PAR thing works out).

Dev-C++ installs itself into its own directory and doesn't mess with your
system settings. It *can't* do anything to your development environment.

Believe me on this - I have a somewhat complex windows dev setup (bits of
Visual Studio, platform SDK, SFU/Interix, cygwin, Dev-C++) and they all play
together quite happily. The only thing I haven't shoehorned onto here yet is
.Net since I haven't needed it.