[Catalyst] PPM vs CPAN in a Windows Context

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 22:32:34 CEST 2006

On 6/30/06, Hugh Lampert <hlampert at earthlink.net> wrote:
> The hassle is that we are a Windows shop and my boss only cares about
> results.  To roll out an .ASP application is only a matter of using the
> resources that are already installed in the development environment and
> on the production server (IIS, SQL Server 2000, etc.), so I'm already on
> thin ice with Apache and perl - although I've argued I can code more
> efficiently in perl than in the .NET environment.  If I have to
> radically alter the production server beyond Perl and Apache/mod_perl
> then the limb I am going out on will bend substantially more.

If you've already got a .NET environment then why don't you use for
compiling Perl modules? It's a much better choice than GCC when under
Windows since VS is the default compiler for AS Perl. GCC is used as a
fallback method since buying VS just for the C compiler is a little
overkill.

> LOL.  That doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy.  I was counting on rolling
> it out on Windows.   What's the problem with mod_perl on Windows?

The problem is that I never managed to get Apache to run mod_perl
properly without crashing. But maybe that's just me, since I've seen
other people reporting the opposite. But it works fine enough for my
current purposes under Apache::Registry.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.