[Catalyst] New Root Controller in Catalyst 5.66

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Mar 1 16:07:51 CET 2006

Quick question on this.

Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 06:16:49AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:

[...]

> Sticking assorted useful methods onto your context class (which currently
> is also your appclass) is fine, although you might want to consider moving
> some of them to a Catalyst::Request subclass and setting ->request_class
> to get your app to use that (depending on what the method is).
>
> Actions should really be in a separate Controller class so you aren't
> polluting your app/context namespace.

Given that we are at an early stage of development in our application,
and we started and are still using 5.61, is the switch to 5.66 strongly
recommended?  It looks like lots of good things have changed since we
started, and I don't want us to get left too far behind.

Basically I was working on some login/authentication code, and it looks
like bits of that changed (for the better) between original installation
and now.

I know its a hard question to answer in general, but my concern is more
over the availability and support of the plugins, as we started when the
last batch of plugins were being deprecated.  Is there a "committment"
that all 5.6x plugins will work the same across all 5.6x versions (seems
  rather difficult to do this, or to request that all plugin authors
guarantee this).

More to the point, what is the recommended update strategy for the
Catalyst core as it evolves?  Should we simply be able to "install
Task::Catalyst" from time to time to update?  Any thoughts would be
welcome on this.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D