[Catalyst] UTF-8 strings getting stragely converted to latin1 when coming from MySQL DB

Michele Beltrame mb at italpro.net
Thu Mar 2 16:35:37 CET 2006

Hello!

I'm experiencing a problem with a Catalyst 5.65 installation under
Ubuntu Linux 5.10. All the tables on the MySQL database are marked
UTF-8, and the collation is utf8_general (as I always set it).

I'm using DBIx::Class, and I loaded the Unicode plugin in Catalyst.
However, when I read something from the SQL database, the string gets
converted to latin1, so the accents (widely used in the Italian
language) are not readable anymore - well, unless I switch the pages to
latin1, but I'd like to use UTF-8.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Michele.