[Catalyst] UTF-8 strings getting stragely converted to latin1 when coming from MySQL DB

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Mar 3 16:38:47 CET 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 04:12:51PM +0100, Daniel McBrearty wrote:
> I suggested the "set names utf8" thing. That's because I have personal
> experience of mysql doing just what the OP described, and this turned out to
> be the fix.
>
> I have no idea if or how catalyst makes this call ... but I just know that
> SOMETHING has to ...

Catalyst is a web framework. It has no idea what you're talking about.

DBIx::Class is an ORM. The config change I suggest should make it run that
SQL statement - but I've seen previous reports that 'set names utf8' isn't
sufficient, hence also mentioning the UTF8Columns component (which is now
in DBIx-Class-current).