[Catalyst] fastcgi restart

Carl Franks fireartist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 12:37:05 CET 2006

> So how to restart catalyst(fastcgi+apache) under shared hosting?
> I can't restart the whole apache httpd server.

That's what I was saying, you can't just restart fastcgi, you have to
restart the whole httpd server.

> Just make 'touch myscript.pl'
> timestamp changed, but no changes available on brouser.

My shared hosting providers "have a clue" and have set it so that the
script is recompiled when the timestamp changes.
If yours haven't done that, they can't really complain about you
asking to restart apache!

> Can you please explain more about 'max-runs'?

I had assumed there would be a setting that would specify the max no.
of requests a process could handle before restarting, but looking at
http://www.fastcgi.com/mod_fastcgi/docs/mod_fastcgi.html
there doesn't seem to be.

You could try adding this:
FastCgiConfig -autoUpdate 1
to the .htaccess file in your cgi-bin directory, but it depends on
what privileges you have, whether it'll work.
If it doesn't, see if the admin will add it to the main apache config.

Carl