[Catalyst] perl subroutine attributes

Steven Hilton mshiltonj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 15:17:03 CET 2006

Greetings,

I just installed Catalyst and am going through the tutorials. Great so far!

However, I'm getting hung up (obsessing, really) over the concept of
subroutine attributes. I had never even heard of them until I started
reading the Catalyst docs, and my lack of knowledge here is really
ticking me off.

I've read http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/perl/prog3/ch06_05.htm,
http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.8/lib/attributes.pm and
http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.7/pod/perlsub.pod#Subroutine_Attributes
. But something is still not clicking with me.

I could continue with the Catalyst tutorials, but the attributes thing
still seems like a black box to me, and I'm really trying to get a
deeper understanding of how and why they are used (in more of a "perl"
way, not just the "catalyst" way.)

Are there any basic-but-working examples of attribute usage that I can
refer to, other than catalyst? Or just other useful links?

Thanks for any info!

--
Steven Hilton <mshiltonj at gmail.com>
<http://mshiltonj.com/>

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect
 his country from its government." -- Thomas Paine