[Catalyst] A note on AS Perl 5.8.8 install problems withCatalyst and other modules

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Mar 16 14:16:29 CET 2006

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Emanuele Zeppieri <ema_zep at libero.it> wrote:
>> So you are right, and I'm sorry for the useless suggestion (but the
>> problem was exactly that).
>> If not other, I've just verified that copying the new MI tree (ver.
>> 0.61) into the Catalyst's distro inc dir solves the problem, so it's an
>> MI bug, solved in ver. 0.61, as diagnosed (and Catalyst needs to be
>> repackaged, you're right ;-)
>
> I think this is the main problem with Module::Install.
> If there's a bug in Module::Install itself, *every single module*
> needs to be repackaged.
> Not fun.

No, but equally if there's a bug in Module::Build then you can't do anything
about it unless you can convince the user to upgrade it - which if it's
sufficiently broken your Build.PL doesn't run in the first place is a little
tricky.

Swings and roundabouts really. At least this way most of the pain gets visited
on the packager once rather than on users repeatedly.