[Catalyst] Problem with C::E::Apache and apache2/mod_perl2

Scott Karns scottkinsf at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 23:47:08 CET 2006

--- Scott Karns <scottkinsf at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Nowhere there do I see an "ok_constant" method
> (defined in C::E::Apache::MP20).
>
> Also, from a visit to http://localhost/perl-status,
> see that the only Catalyst::Engine::Apache module
> loaded is C::E::A, shouldn't I see C::E::Apache2 and
> C::E::Apache2::MP20 as well?
>
> I seem to be having problems getting Apache::DB to
> launch the perl debugger upon apache2 startup. I
> would
> like to walk through Catalyst::setup_engine to look
> at
> it from that side. Inserting a $DB::single = 2 gives
> me an error upon starting apache.
>
> Can anyone offer any links or guidance on working
> with
> Apache::DB and mod_perl2?

At the risk of stating what may be obvious to some
(sure wasn't to me) I'll summarize my findings.

1) ConfigLoader CAN find 'home' relative config files
when running the built-in server. It CANNOT when
running apache2. My fix was to make the config file
path absolute.

2) DO NOT FORCE the choice of an engine like the
example given in C:M:Tutorial:

use Catalyst qw/-Engine=Apache/;

Let Catalyst figure it out!

3) It looks like the Session plugins may have some
issues with relative directories when running on
apache2. With the above (self-inflicted?) problems
corrected, I now have the following error:

[error] Caught exception in engine "mkdir QR_session:
Permission denied at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/Cache/Fil
eBackend.pm line 222"
[Wed Mar 22 15:24:48 2006] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]
File does not exist: /var/www/localhost/htdocs/QR

My application root is at /usr/local/pqv, but it looks
like the session module is trying to create the
directory relative to apache's document root.

That's it so far. Whew, I didn't expect moving from
the built-in engine to apache2/mod_perl2 would be so
much fun ;)

Cheers,
Scott