[Catalyst] OT: mod_fastcgi vs. mod_perl (was uri_for() question)

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Mar 28 16:11:30 CEST 2006

Scott Karns wrote:
> Matt,
>
> If you don't mind, I (and other relative neophytes,
> I'm sure) would like to hear you and anyone else
> interested in chiming in, expand on your preference
> for mod_fastcgi over mod_perl when running on apache.

I think the thread has mostly already nailed the arguments without me. Mostly
for me it's that mod_perl constitutes significant additional moving parts
directly in my webserver. Keeping my Cat apps separate means I can restart
them, tweak them, move them, crash them and screw them up at my leisure and be
pretty damn sure I'm not going to kill anything else on the server. It's also
nice to have a consistent deployment environment, and we often build apps with
shared hosting deployment in mind as a target as well.