[Catalyst] CatInABox versus Manual::Tutorial

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 04:29:18 CEST 2006

On 5/3/06, Alex Woo <wooac at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I tried CatInABox under Windows XP and it helps a lot.   Since the mhansen
> ppd's have vanished, Catalyst doesn't install cleanly under ActivePerl.
> Unfortunately, it's missing some of the plugins needed to finish the
> Manual::Tutorial such as Session and DBIC.   Catalyst may be very nice but
> so far Rails seems much more sold and better packaged.

Can you describe in details what were your issues under Win32 when
using Catalyst?
Currently, I primarily develop under Win32, so I've got some
experience. Session and DBIC *do* install under Win32.

Unfortunately, DBIC 0.06002 likes to fail one of the test cases under
Win32, so you need to "force install" it. It will work flawlessly,
besides spitting some harmless "freeing of unreferenced scalars"
warnings all over your face. This has all been reported to DBIC
developers and they might fix at least the installation issue for the
next release.

However, I've never encountered any problems (which I remember of)
when installing C::P::Session so maybe you could ellaborate a bit more
on this subject.

-Nilson Santos F. Jr.