[Catalyst] Project Name

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed May 10 01:38:32 CEST 2006

Nathan Kurz wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 03:57:48PM -0700, Michael Richards wrote:
>> On 5/9/06, Nathan Kurz <nate at verse.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The best solution I can come up with is just to avoid specific names:
>>> name all projects "App" and avoid package naming conflicts by
>>> presuming that everything will be run out of a local directory.
>> Great until you want to run two apps together.
>
> Could you be more specific?  As I said, I'm searching for a better
> answer, but I don't see any obvious reason that multiple applications
> can't be run on the same server using local conceptions of App::*.
> I'd guess that the command line test server, CGI and FastCGI are
> compartmentalized enough handle it fine.  It seems unlikely, but does
> mod_perl allow for only a single Perl context shared per process?

Correct, and although MP2 will allow multiple perl interpreters there's
a performance and memory hit in there.

Plus Catalyst is heading towards being able to have multiple instances
of a single app - hence C::M::DBIC::Schema not relying on classdata etc.
etc., so the sort of approach you mention would be a step back and
probably unusable for truly portable future apps as well as being a
nasty hack :)