[Catalyst] Project Name

Nathan Kurz nate at verse.com
Wed May 10 18:18:11 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 03:14:44PM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> Len Jaffe wrote:
> >> If you're sure it's just a sample app and the code
> >> will never need to
> >> change, what's the problem with templatizing it and
> >> turning it into a
> >> Helper that generates the appropriate stuff like
> >> InstantCRUD and friends do?

I'm with Bryan here: hiding the sample behind a layer of magic reduces
its use as a sample.  As a Catalyst beginner, the lack of good sample
applications to use as patterns has been my primary frustration.  My
second frustration is the difficulty of reusing the code in the sample
applications that do exist.  The generator approach says "You don't
need to understand it, it just works!".  But sometimes one wants
something simple that one can fully understand, and then extend.

> > Why can't it be written as some modules, a plugin, and
> > some application config?

It's quite possible it could be, but the bar is higher for creating
such a thing, and it's utility as a learning tool is more limited.
I'm also not sure how one would deal with the auxilliary files
(myapp.sql, myapp.yml) and the associated template files.

> Using general modules that get loaded into whatever app namespace
> the user wants was my first suggestion. Apparently having something
> external was too much work, so this is the alternative :)

It's not really that it is too much work (although the absence of such
a registration plugin might hint at this) but that I don't see how a
plugin is going to provide a framework that can be extended and
reused.  How is the generic module going to provide the database
schemas, the templates, the glue that is necessary to make it work?
Perhaps it's possible, but I think it would be more difficult than
coming up with a standard for app namespaces that encourages reuse.

--nate