[Catalyst] FormValidator::Simple and FillInForm plugins refuse to work together

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed May 17 16:51:01 CEST 2006

John Napiorkowski wrote:
> Alex,
>
> I also had trouble with FillInForm.  When researching
> the trouble I found some notes about it having trouble
> when the input tag had a 'type="text"' attribute in
> it.  Removing that didn't actually solve my problem
> but it seemed to help that person so you might want to
> try it out.
>
> Personally I dropped using FillInForm as a plugin
> since I found it heavily impacted performance on my
> website.  Also it has trouble when a page had multiple
> forms on it, which is common on the site I am
> designing.  Although I am not an expert on the plugin
> from what I can tell it parses all pages whether they
> have a form in it or not, which would account for the
> performance issue.  Your results may vary.  Good luck.

I've always regarded HTML::FillInForm as a nasty hack; I suppose it's a handy
bit of magic during prototyping but I wouldn't try and put it into production.
Generating stuff yourself isn't too tricky anyway; a few quick TT macros will
give you the same functionality for very little extra typing in the templates,
and has always proven far more reliable for me.