[Catalyst] Catalyst for (really) big applications

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Fri May 19 14:06:08 CEST 2006

ian docherty ha scritto:
> Marcello Romani wrote:
>> Brandon Black ha scritto:

>>> I suspect that the general rule would be that the amount of memory
>>> available on reasonably-priced modern hardware so vastly exceeds the
>>> neccesary RAM for storing the code of a Catalyst application that this
>>> shouldn't be an issue.
>>>

>> I recently deployed an intranet application with about 40/50 modules (I
>> don't have the code right now and I don't remember the exact number) on
>> a windows server, under Apache 2.0.5x.
>> The two apache processes take up almost 200mb of ram just before the
>> first request. This value grows up to more than 250MB after list()ing
>> some tables (with paging).
>>
> Thank you, this is the sort of information I have been after. Now, does
> anyone know if this is likely to grow linearly with the number of modules?

"Number of modules" is very misleading in this context. A Catalyst
application might include a few (and/or small) Catalyst-specific
user-written classes, but be big nontheless because of the use of a
variety of heavy-weight distributions or multiple funciontalities
provided by various cpan modules.

As an example, think about the use of ORM frameworks like Class::DBI et
simila.

>>> If you were in some very wierd case where this mattered (I donno, say
>>> you had 1 million Controller classes or something), I'm sure you could
>>> split them up into logical chunks, put them on seperate servers, and
>>> have a front-end divvy out the requests to appropriate segregated
>>> back-ends.
>>>

>> I presume this is a requirement for every yahoo-sized app, whatever app
>> server you happen to use.
>>

>>> -- Brandon

Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT