[Catalyst] Fwd: mvc frameworks in perl

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun May 21 21:11:09 CEST 2006

August R. Wohlt wrote:
> interesting discussion here:
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2006/05/mvc_frameworks_in_perl.html
>
> "Woodstock is the new framework which will be designed by Sebastian
> Riedel to fix "a lot of design mistakes in Catalyst"...
>
> thoughts?
>
> :g

Not really, the comment I've already made pretty much sums up my
opinion. Repeated here for those of you who don't want to trawl through
the half-assed and badly-researched comments looking for the two or
three that are actually interesting -

Frank, I'm afraid you're somewhat wrong there - the whole point of
Catalyst is that it *doesn't* make those choices for you. We have active
users using at least three different ORMs (DBIx::Class,
Rose::DB::Object, and a few holdouts still on Class::DBI), a fair few
using DBI and at least a couple using Tangram. Not to mention the people
who don't have a database at all and are using Catalyst to talk to LDAP
or something else entirely different.

Gantry is sort of like a quarter of Catalyst done badly, and Maypole is
too restrictive and generally only useful for trivial CRUD applications.
I'd anticipate the perl framework war will become a two or possibly
three-horse race, with Catalyst for people who want MVC and choice,
Jifty as a "one true way" non-MVC system and probably an opinionated
system on top of Catalyst as the "one true way" for MVC. Sebastian's new
project should be an interesting experimental system but I suspect
anything useful will probably get rolled into Catalyst by the core team
(although at the moment we're currently busy refactoring stuff and
stealing the best bits of Jifty :)

Matt S Trout | May 6, 2006 02:14 PM