[Catalyst] [ANNOUNCE] Alien::Dojo v0.01

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon May 22 19:42:45 CEST 2006

Dominique Quatravaux wrote:

> Matt S Trout wrote:
>
>> What does this offer that the HTML-Dojo long-since announced on
>> here and currently sat in Catalyst trunk doesn't?
>
> Your question is rhetorical, correct? :-) Let me have a shot at it
> nonetheless.

Not really, I just wanted your explanation of why this was good rather
than skimming it myself and making a wild-assed guess :)

>    1. A::D doesn't depend on RMS' or anyone's opinion on OSS license
>       compatibility issues for being legal (as a CPAN package that is
>       - "compiled" RPM or deb packages would be another matter)
>    2. A::D can automatically fetch the very last version of Dojo (it
>       can parse the http://dojotoolkit.org/ homepage), meaning that I
>       don't need to repackage for every new version of Dojo. Actually
>       one can even upgrade Dojo *in place* from under A::D's feet
>       using rm -rf and unzip and it will just work
>    3. A::D is available on CPAN right now (well, real soon now)
>    4. A::D uses Module::Build :-]

I don't consider that one to necessarily be an advantage :)

>    5. A::D comes with POD documentation complete to the point of
>       pointlessness
>    6. Alien:: is arguably the correct namespace for Javascript bundles
>       (there is hardly any Perl in there)
>
> Sorry for not reading the list thoroughly enough - I'm new to this
> whole Dojo business, that's why. How about I withdraw my module as
> soon as HTML::Dojo recaptures points 1 to 3? Or conversely I can spend
> some time to blend my API into that of HTML::Dojo.

Actually, my immediate thought is that this and HTML::Dojo are
complementary not competitive, and that the best thing would be for
HTML::Dojo to be reworked to provide a convenient way of spitting out
bits of a dojo dist already downloaded by Alien::Dojo.

Carl, I've cc'ed you to try and bring this to your attention - what do
you think?