[Catalyst] [ANNOUNCE] Alien::Dojo v0.01

Dominique Quatravaux dom at idealx.com
Tue May 23 19:06:40 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:

>> please elaborate on what's wrong with auto-download and regexes
>> per se?
>

> It's a foolish, fragile approach. [...] at the very least use a
> real HTML parser.

So I gather you agree with auto-download, but you are bashing the
regex part of the idea. I may be a clueless newbie but I would still
rather have some constructive arguments, so here are mine:

    * an HTML parser with dependencies would hardly fit into inc/
    * HTML is text, regexes process text
    * The thing has to be robust against the Dojo homepage changing
      *slightly*, not against someone throwing test HTML at it with
      every single visible character entity-escaped and a decoy
      download link in an HTML comment

Exactly what kind of real-world alteration of the Dojo homepage do you
think a simple regex (agreed, not the current one) would miss, but an
HTML parser would catch?

> Talk to the dojo maintainers about canonical URIs

Good idea. Will try to do that if Alien::Dojo lives.

> X.Y.Z is incompatible with perl?

I meant with CPAN. Maybe I missed something here too, but I'm not
aware of any x.y.z on CPAN?

> Look at version.pm. Look at how CPAN handles version.pm-using
> modules. You may find it enlightening.

But then again I may not. Here is an excerpt from the man page of
version.pm on my system (perl 5.8.8 from Debian unstable):

#   If you are using Module::Build or ExtUtils::MakeMaker, so that you
#   can release your module to CPAN, you have to recognize that neither
#   of those programs completely handles version objects natively
#   (yet).

So how do I go about achieving enlightenment now?

> If you aren't sure if something works, put an _ in the version
> number so it gets marked as a developer release and unsuspecting
> users don't install it expecting it to work.

Will do.

- --
Dominique QUATRAVAUX                           Ingénieur senior
01 44 42 00 08                                 IDEALX