[Catalyst] Newbie needs help with tutorial

Richard Wolfe rwolfe at rpm-go.com
Wed Nov 1 16:34:32 GMT 2006

Hello all-

I've been writing (bad) Perl/CGI scripts for years, but am just now
trying to get my head around Catalyst (and MVC in general). I managed to
get Catalyst installed on my little Linux box here, and I'm busily
working my way through Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial.

In working my way through Part 2 (Catalyst Basics) of the tutorial, I
create my new Catalyst project and start up the server and can browse to
it no problem. But after I step through all the other tasks on this
portion of the tutorial (create a database, MyAppDB.pm, the "result
source" files, the controller, etc.) the server throws an error when I
try to start it:

[rwolfe at coyote MyApp]$ script/myapp_server.pl
Couldn't instantiate component "MyApp::Model::MyAppDB", "Cannot load
schema class 'MyAppDB': Recursive inheritance detected while looking for
method 'can' in package 'DBIx::Class::Componentised' at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/DBIx/Class/Componentised.pm line 76.
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/Catalyst/Model/DBIC/Schema.pm line 272.
 at script/myapp_server.pl line 53" at script/myapp_server.pl line 53
Compilation failed in require at script/myapp_server.pl line 53.

I've re-checked my work several times but can't find any place where I
have strayed from the instructions. Could someone possibly give me a
push in the right direction and let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Richard