[Catalyst] automatic form generation based on data models

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Wed Nov 8 18:54:29 GMT 2006

Ian Docherty <ian at iandocherty.com> wrote on 11/08/2006 12:35:04 PM:

> marcus baker wrote:
> > In a primarily Perl shop I've joined, Django has become all the rage.
> > Everyone into it is amazed at the templating capabilities and the
> > database abstraction layer (...they obviously hadn't really done much
> > with the Template Toolkit, or even heard of Class::DBI or
> > DBIx::Class).  Django's all fine and lovely, but personally I still
> > prefer Catalyst due to the vastness of the CPAN library I can use
> > behind it.
> >
> > The one thing about Django that keeps them from looking anywhere else
> > is it's ability to create data-editing forms on the fly based on the
> > data model.  In an attempt to get them to consider Catalyst a little
> > more, I was wondering if Catalyst has this kind of capability
> > anywhere... Is this something I should take to the CDBI/DBIxC lists
> > specifically?
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Marcus
> I just don't understand why everyone seems to wet their pants over
> something that 'creates data-editing forms' directly from the data model!
>
> As a demo application, or a simple proof of concept that it always looks
> impressive when you can create these forms and update a few tables with
> a few lines of code. Anyone who has written big web applications knows
> however that it is never that simple and so the few (hours/days) that
> can be saved in the early stages of coding are nothing compared to the
> (weeks/months) of coding for a 'real' application.
>
> At the end of the day it is the additional help that something like CPAN
> gives you combined with something like Catalyst that gives the
productivity.

> Regards
> Ian

I agree 100%.  CRUD turns to CRAP in the real world -- much better off
finding a framework that makes Validation and Presentation of those forms
easy (but not automated) as I think you will amot always find that you need
to have more control than any automated form generation will be able to
give you.