[Catalyst] automatic form generation based on data models

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Nov 8 20:13:53 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 02:46:02PM -0500, marcus baker wrote:
> Having this capability might do well to entice more novice developers
> to Catalyst due to this next step in ease of use and getting a quick
> app running... It seemed to do well for the Rails camp.  Hopefully
> from there people would then pick through and start pieceing together
> for themselves how the underpinnings work, but that's up to them.

Well, in my case currently this is all I'd need to do:

    [% # Template to generate a standard form

        WRAPPER form_wrapper;
            FOR f = form.fields;
                field(form, f );
            END;
        END;

    %]

The point is that once you have your form interface setup
auto-generating forms would be an easy step.  I just find it not that
much harder to do even the simple forms by hand.

The only difference with how I do it now is that my real forms look
more like:

        WRAPPER form_wrapper;

                field(form, 'first_name', 'First Name');
                field(form, 'last_name', 'Last Name');
                field(form, 'phone', 'Phone', 'Please include area code');
            '</fieldset>';

            '</fieldset>';
            END;
        END;