[Catalyst] IDE/editor

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Wed Nov 15 07:28:06 GMT 2006

catalyst.20.chsg at spamgourmet.com ha scritto:
> I hesitate to ask this question because it seems to often result in
> some juvenille flame war.  Everyone is different, with different needs
> and preferences.  That's why we have choices.  It's Perl after all,
> right? [grin]
>
> With that out of the way, what IDE or editor works well for you?
>
> My default has been VIM since I'm really comfortable in it and can
> edit text really fast with it.  However, as a very visual person, I
> find it cumbersome when having to flip back and forth between all of
> the files.  This is especially true since I'm new to Catalyst and
> don't have everything solidified in my head.
>
> As a side note, I work on OS X, so any references to Windows-only
> programs won't really be useful but may be for others who come accross
> this thread.
>
> I'm mostly just interested in what has worked for you (and will take
> everything with that grain of salt), not what is crappy about other
> programs.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Conan.

I've learned vim in the Unix class (1st year at university), and used it
ever since on Linux. I like it on X11, where I can have something around
130x100 chars and 4+ windows in the same terminal. On Windows I tried
various editors and came to like Crimson Editor.
It has easily customizable syntax highlighting, it is pod-aware and lets
your create "projects", which are nothing more than a structured bunch
of files but are useful nonetheless.

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT