[Catalyst] Catalyst vs Rails vs Django Cook off

catalyst.20.chsg at spamgourmet.com catalyst.20.chsg at spamgourmet.com
Thu Nov 16 10:03:08 GMT 2006

I really don't want to start a bashing session, but I have some
concerns that those much more knowledgeable than me should hopefully
be able to clarify.

Recently, I saw this article via Catalyst Planet: http://
letsgetdugg.com/feed/view/Catalyst_vs_Rails_vs_Django_Cook_off

Essentially, according to his test, which doesn't take into account
ORM performance, Rails & Django knock the socks of Catalyst.

In victori's remarks, he calls for a change in Catalyst and points to
the other advantages to to this framework, mostly related to ease of
coding.  While the whole reason I came to Catalyst is because I'm
comfortable with Perl and don't want to learn Ruby, I'm worried that
my Catalyst application won't perform as well when/if my app usage
becomes very significant.  Should I be concerned?

Again, I'm not interesting in hearing about how Rails/Ruby/Django/
Python sucks, but in facts about real performance of Catalyst.

Many thanks,

Conan.